Tuesday 24 June 2014

Letting go of butter & cream

I have been trained by the rules of French cuisine and I abide by Julia Child's rule for most of my life, " If you're afraid of butter, use cream!"

Since moving to Spain I have been uncomfortable, looking for my safety net of butter and cream and it's taken me some time to get accustomed to a new pantry. Thus far, studying the basics and traditional Spanish recipes, I have learned a few things...

To start:
Any dish starts with 4 basic ingredients - always! The base of the pan or pot is covered with a generous layer olive oil, obviously no butter. Then onion (cebolla), garlic (ajo) and red / green bell peppers (piementon) is sautéd. This is often all cut very finely to create a sofrito - a softly sautéd paste.


On your plate:
The meat added to the dishes is mainly Jamón Iberico (Iberico cured ham) and a choice of lamb (cordero) and rabbit (conejo) is also common on any menu. Bacalao, cod, is the most common fish, and a great variety of fresh seafood can be found anywhere.


The size of the plate:
South Africa is 'rys-vleis-en-artappels' (rice, meat and potatoes) nation. I quite like having my own big plate of food and 'digging in'.  Therefore I have been confused to keep on getting 'tapas' at restaurants, flavorful miniatrure dishes. It has taken me some time to realize the advantage - you can have 4 or 5 different dishes per night, simmilar to a tasting menu!






To finish:
"Mas aceite" (More oil!)
In my restaurant I have learned two things: 1.There can never be enough olive oil to dress a dish. 2. Then add some more olive oil just to be safe! I can't remember cooking with any other fat since I have been here - butter and cream seemed to have disappeared. Fat from Chorizo or Jamón however covers the palate with a flavourful fattiness.

Of course, smoked paprika is the last touch to round off the dish and again the plate.




It might be taking some time to train my palate get accustomed to a new flavours and texture, but I am enjoying every minute of  the tasting sensations!

From the land of Citrus and Saffron
Liezl

No comments:

Post a Comment