Monday 21 July 2014

Gracias Valladolid

After six weeks of living in Valladolid, Castille-y-León, I have learned to speak Spanish, cook Spanish, sleep less and dodge the bull! 


Valladolid - stylish, never ending days
The generous city has hosted me for the first 6 weeks of my studies. With its grand architecture, Valladolid used to be the capital of Spain, before it recently changed to Madrid.

Plaza Mayor in valladolid


At any time of the day almost all woman can be seen wearing high heels and babies are, in my opinion, far better dressed than the British Royals.

I strongly believe that there are two South African days in one Spanish day. The morning starts at 9 when the local mercado and shops open. With hot sunny days, the city stops for its siesta from 3 - 5 pm, with the sun setting just after ten. Hereafter children will play almost until midnight and while tapas and wine will be served until well after 2 in the morning.  I have grown accustomed to this, and sleep no longer feels like a necessity.


Speaking foreign
Mornings started with Spanish classes. The first day when Norma, my Spanish teacher, spoke to me, my throat abruptly closed on the spot! Classes progressed form 'my name is...' to the list of colours, how to tell time and finally how to conjugate each verbs into its numerous forms. 

It would be nearly impossible to get by if one cannot speak Spanish here, especially in smaller villages like my new home in Asturias.
Our Spanish class on the very last day


I can't speak Spanish fluently yet, but thanks to Norma, I have the confidence to attempt a Spanish conversation - while of course, make extensive use of sign language.  

Traditional & tapas

I have had the privilege of working in a local, traditional restaurant on the Plaza Mayor in Valladolid, cooking traditional food, attempting a Spanish dialog and watching some flamenco dancing!


Ole con Ole invited me in their kitchen and taught me basics such as croquettes, tortillas, paella, octopus and my personal favourite, Rabo de torro (oxtail).


The owners, Mamen and Carlos, made sure the kitchen staff taught me as much as possible, and on Friday and Saturday nights they would often open the floor for some flamenco dancing. 

Tradition is clearly important to them and bull fighting posters, clothes and pictures can be seen everywhere. On weekend nights at 12pm, the whole restaurant would come to a stop -  lights were turned down and candles lit and staff and guests sang to the Virgin Mary.  
Bull fighting display in Ole con Ole

At Ole con Ole I have come to understand the Spanish culture and experience the warmth of the people in Spain. 

Traveling in Castille-y-León
The region of Castille-y-León is so called because it holds so many medieval castles. I have seen these beautiful works of art all over the region - Segovia, Salamanca, Simancas, Penafiel and Medina del Campo.
Castilla in Medina del Campo

Furthermore the region has allowed me to be a spectator of Corte de torro (dodging the bull),partaking in running with the bull, petting the bull - at El Capricho - and tasting the bull.

Corte del toros

In retrospect, this was a once in a life time experience, in every single form of the word!

Many thanks to everyone who has contributed to my time here int he land of Citrus and Saffron.
Liezl
(Text and pgotography)



No comments:

Post a Comment