Thursday 1 May 2014

Tasting the colours of Spain

Colourful - the one word I use, and perhaps the only one needed, to describe Spanish cuisine.  The Spanish plate always showcases its multi-coloured, rich produce - the burning red of saffron, sweet yellow juices of oranges and the bright pink prawns in paella.  Perhaps it is not just the desirable produce and cuisine that make the country colourful, but also the diverse landscape, climate and people of Spain.
My appreciation for the vibrant, colourful country is fired by my own heritage.  As a South African, I was raised in a country with 11 national languages - each culture having its own cooking pot. I have been spoilt for choice with our produce produced by the varied landscapes. From the luscious, green wine country surrounding Stellenbosch, to the semi-dessert of the Karoo delivering world class meat, to the tropical North-Eastern regions producing the sweetest of fruit and só much more.
In short, Spain and South Africa are both multi-faceted countries with cuisine that flourishes on its beautiful produce.  On top of this, both country’s people love to eat - in abundance and with relish.
For me this is what food is about, bringing people together around one table – whether it is to relax, for the dining experience or to socialize, food bring people together.   
As a chef I know one can never learn, taste or experiment enough with food.  There will always be something new to try and someone will always be hungry for more.  With this philosophy and my passion for great produce and gourmet cuisine, I have a hunger to learn more, to taste something new every day and to try new combinations all to bring people together around one table, a table of abundance.
What better opportunity to fuel this fire than to join the 7th Training Program in Spanish Gastronomy, to experience the culture first hand, to be taught by their own people and taste their food in their own kitchens. This journey that starts in June will influence my career as a chef and the way I look at food forever.  I also hope to contribute something to this program by sharing some of my knowledge of South African cuisine and its cultures.
I simply cannot wait for our two multi-faceted countries to meet around one table to share knowledge and produce and dine together around one table.
I can already smell the citrus and saffron...
Liezl

No comments:

Post a Comment